The Spirit Vessel Professionals Perspectives in Deathcare series aims to help bring awareness, acceptance, and normalization to death and the grieving process. Throughout this series, we interview professionals of all types in the deathcare and emotional wellness space including hospice nurses, grief counselors and coaches, death doulas, funeral directors, life insurance agents, celebrants, alternative disposition advocates, and social workers just to name a few.
In this interview, we speak with Diane Hullet, Sacred Passage Doula, Conscious Dying Educator and Coach, and host of the Best Life, Best Death podcast.
Diane has been an English teacher for middle school and high school and a facilitator of creative “process painting” classes and workshops. She’s a late-life mother, which turned her into a school volunteer, board member, dance mom and karate mom for several years.
Once her children launched, she became certified by The Conscious Dying Institute as a Sacred Passage Doula and Conscious Dying Educator and Coach. Diane is now on the faculty at CDI, as well as running her own classes and podcast, Best Life Best Death.
With a degree from the University of Colorado in English, and an MA in education from Stanford, Diane brings a background of teaching and facilitation to her work as an end-of-life educator.
In this conversation we discuss:
- Diane’s background in education, her painting workshops, and how those skillsets lend themselves to her work today.
- How she became involved in deathcare as her children got older.
- Her death doula education at Conscious Dying Institute
- How she became a course facilitator at CDI and the courses and experiences she now offers.
- How she incorporates ritual and ceremony in her work, and the connotations the term ceremony evokes.
- How to make your death kinder to your loved ones.
- Planning for your death without being rigid.
- What Diane is excited for in the future!
Please leave us a comment below, and let us know your thoughts on today’s video!
If you enjoyed this conversation, please share it on your favorite social media platform.